Governor Deal signed HB60, also known as the “guns everywhere” bill, into law today. I hope it doesn’t lead us down a path of destruction, and I hope the negative aspects that have been talked about don’t happen.
Don’t get it wrong, I have no problem with guns. I have no problem with gun ownership. That said, if you feel that you have to carry a gun with you EVERYWHERE and at all times, either you are a personal bodyguard, law enforcement, or you really need to reconsider where you hang out.
I’m licensed to carry concealed, and I don’t carry much. Mostly because I don’t travel to places where I feel threatened enough to need a gun but also because I believe in those who are sworn law enforcement officers. I know enough that, if someone gets the jump on me, action is always faster than reaction. If I have a concealed gun in my waistline, it does no good when someone comes up from behind and puts a barrel to the back of my head. I know the difference between Hollywood and real life, and you don’t get to yell “Cut” and ask for a re-take in real life.
I can’t speak for others, but if you feel that you need to carry a concealed gun to church, you may want to consider finding a new church or even a new religion. Likewise for bars, I don’t know of anybody who would think that alcohol and guns go hand in hand like peanut butter and jelly.
What I glean from things like this is that there are people who are scared to death and have no faith in law enforcement. There are people who are paid to deal with bad situations, and they constantly train and retrain to deal with them. How many conceal-carry gun owners go through active shooter training? How many conceal-carry gun owners train on weapon retention? How many cities, counties, or states even require or recommend such training?
I understand the love of the 2nd Amendment. With rights come responsibilities, and I don’t see responsibility being legislated here. As I lay my head down tonight, I will pray for my fellow residents of Georgia that no innocent people are hurt or killed by somebody’s decision to try to play John Wayne. We already have enough senseless death and injury in this country. There’s no need to try to set a new high score.
- Georgia law allows guns in churches (cnn.com)
- Georgia governor signs ‘guns everywhere’ bill into law (VIDEO) (guns.com)
- Georgia Says Screw It, Allows Guns In Airports, School Zones, Other Awesome Places To Have Guns (wonkette.com)
- Georgia governor signs ‘guns everywhere’ bill into law (thesecularjurist.wordpress.com)
- New unprecedented Georgia gun law allows citizens to arm themselves like never before (rare.us)
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights (washingtontimes.com)
- Understanding Georgia’s ‘Guns Everywhere’ Law (businessweek.com)
- Georgia’s insane gun bill becomes law (atlmalcontent.wordpress.com)