God has called home one of the last of the original freedom fighters. Mandela leaves the world a much better place than it was when he was born.
There are very few people in the world who have accomplished so much that they are known and beloved worldwide. Many countries have had their struggles with racial issues.
Mandela captivated many because of his story. He went from freedom fighter to prisoner and eventually became president of the country he fought to be treated as an equal citizen. There are undoubtedly some who have less cheerful and loving memories of him, but the people who respect and adore him far outweighs his naysayers.
I have never been to South Africa, but I have talked to thousands of its citizens. Based on my personal interactions, the issues they had with race have come much farther than here in America. I don’t know if that is indeed the case there, but my statement is based solely on personal interactions.
South Africa has lost a great piece of history today, and I’m sure he will live on forever as many of our most beloved persons do. I send my condolences to the Mandela family as well as the citizens of South Africa for their great loss today.
- Nelson Madiba Mandela (africanbabeblog.wordpress.com)
- Nelson Mandela biopic breaks South African box office records (cbc.ca)
- Nelson Mandela a fighter even as death nears: daughter (ndtv.com)
- Nelson Mandela dead at 95 (globalnews.ca)
- South Africa’s Nelson Mandela dies (musingsofamildmanneredman.com)