According to the Republican National Committee’s Twitter feed, racism has ended in America. I don’t know if this is all a part of the GOP’s outreach towards minorities, but if it is, they need to get a better message writer.
If Rosa Parks helped to end racism, how does the RNC explain the lynching of Michael Donald in Mobile, Alabama in 1981? If Rosa Parks helped to end racism, how does the RNC explain an Alabama man being indicted for a 2009 cross burning incident in Ozark, Alabama? If questioned, I seriously doubt the RNC would have an explanation for either question as they both rely on the bogus idea that racism has ended in the United States. This country was forged with racism enshrined within the founding documents of this country, so it will take much more than what happened in the 1960s to rid this country of racism.
Maybe the RNC needs to get in touch with the Louisiana GOP so they can see how dumb that tweet makes them look, regardless to what their intent was.
In Baton Rouge, there is an impending fight over the creation of the city of St. George. That city would encompass the areas of Baton Rouge occupied by the affluent, middle class citizens while leaving the poor, urban area of Baton Rouge to fend for itself. The idea is being pushed as a way for the people to form their own school system to get away from the under performing district and create a safe school system for their children. What’s not being said has more to do with the Black/White and poor/affluent issues within the city. It’s probably not being said because, as we all know, racism has ended.
Now, back out from Baton Rouge a bit to the state level, and Louisiana has another issue the RNC may want to get involved with, since racism has ended. As we all know, the SCOTUS ruling on the Voting Rights Act basically opened the floodgates for the redistricting and voter laws that have been passed in a flurry since. Now that the states that previously had to get approval from the Justice Department no longer have to do so, they feel they are free to pull whatever shenanigans they want.
With the approval of their newly drawn district map, Louisiana will take gerrymandering to the next level. The new District 2 will encompass New Orleans and Baton Rouge packing most of the Black vote into one district. I guess this is the GOP’s version of creating harmony within the Black community in Louisiana as the majority will all be within one district in the state, freeing up the rest of the state to the White and likely Republican voters. I love the way that the 2nd District is almost completely within the 6th District. Let them tell it, and they’ll likely say there’s nothing wrong with that.
But, yeah, racism has ended. Thank you Rosa Parks.
- Republican National Committee Tries To Cover Up Cringeworthy Tweet On Racism (radio.foxnews.com)
- Republican National Committee thanks civil rights pioneer Rosa Parks for ‘ending racism’ (rawstory.com)
- GOP FAIL: RNC Tweets Congratulations to Rosa Parks for Role in ‘Ending Racism’ in America (themoderatevoice.com)
- BREAKING: GOP Declares Racism Has Ended (burntorangereport.com)
- Racial Gerrymandering Lawsuit in Louisiana (theblackdigest.wordpress.com)
- Affluent, white residents of south Baton Rouge propose seceding from city’s poor, black northern areas (rawstory.com)
- Proposed new city of “St. George” could have major consequences (wafb.com)
- St. George, LA Update – 12/1/13 (lincolnparishnewsonline.wordpress.com)